- is one of the Fruits of the Spirit
- is the ability to step back and watch God make things happen
- moderates our anxious efforts to serve or to seek God
- allows us to labor and inwardly rest at the same time
- evacuates vanity, jealousy, and contention
- gives us immense freedom to be who we are and to serve the needs of others
- OMOH: 65
- *OMOH: 48
Gentleness, as a Fruit of the Spirit, is a certain appreciation of the delicacy or skill of the Creator. It perceives how brilliantly and delicately the Divine Therapy guides our inner work. Circumstances may ask of us more than we are ready to give, but never too much.
Gentleness, as a Fruit of the Spirit, is a participation in God’s way of doing things. Our anxious efforts and anguished searches for God cease. With gentleness, God effortlessly sustains all creation with its enormous diversity.
Like God, we labor and rest at the same time. We work hard but we know by experience that our efforts cannot go anywhere except when God makes them fruitful.
Vanity, jealousy, and contention – which may, at times, accompany our spiritual endeavors – are gradually evacuated, leaving immense freedom just to be who we are and to serve those around us as an expression of our union with God.
Gentleness is a participation in God’s way of doing things.
How is God making things happen? How are you guided to give of yourself beyond what you think may be possible?
Participate in God’s way of doing things. Labor for God and rest in God at the same time.