- involves the spontaneous evacuation of the repressed, emotional garbage of a lifetime which can be painful, but is necessary for Divine Union and discovering the True Self
- is symbolized by the spiral staircase as we experience new levels of recognizing our weakness and dependence on God
- as in the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, the more we realize how unmanageable our lives are, the more our lives become adventures in allowing the Spirit to guide and accompany us in daily life
- involves purifying both our personal and collective unconscious
- feels, at times, like “a battering from without and a boring from within”
- enables us to be responsive to the sublime communications of God
Purification may also be called ‘liberation from the false self or ‘the healing of the unconscious’.
- OMOH: 97
- IG: 50, 88, 107
- FG: 9, 14, 78
- BP: 24-25
- CF: 98-99
Purification occurs when, because of the trust and humility that develops toward God as a result of a lively identification with the texts of Scripture and the experience of contemplative prayer, we are able to confront the dark side of our personality and endure the unloading of the unconscious.
Purification is God’s healing process which liberates the True Self to emerge into consciousness. It occurs when we confront the dark side of our personality and see the emotional damage that has been done to us from conception until now. After cracking this shell of ordinary awareness, we must endure the evacuation of the emotional junk of a lifetime, stored in the unconscious and warehoused in the body. Significant emptying and healing must take place if we are to be responsive to the sublime communications of God. The transmission of divine life cannot be received if the false self is still predominant.
The spiral staircase is a symbol of the purification that gradually takes place through contemplative prayer. Each progressive recognition of our weakness and dependence on God is accompanied by a kind of inner resurrection.
To use a term from the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, the more we realize how “unmanageable” our lives are, the more life becomes an adventure in allowing the Spirit to guide, accompany, and heal us of our intransigent addictions.
Two forms of purification take place: purification of our personal unconscious and purification of the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious is the secret influence of the social milieu in which we live such as human brutality, violence, indifference, cruelty, and demonic evil. This negative energy, perhaps stored in the atmosphere, makes it difficult for people to climb out of the collective negativity of a society or culture with its destructive mindsets and behaviors.
Purification allows the True Self to emerge into consciousness.
How has purification occurred in you? How might it continue? How does purification feel?
Confront the dark side of your personality. Recognize when purification is occurring. Put all of your trust in God’s love.